Google+

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Disney Fun Day- Hocus Pocus

Hocus Pocus

With Halloween coming up I thought it would be fun to look at one of the classic Disney Halloween movies- Hocus Pocus. It stars Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy as the Sanderson Sisters. Executed 300 years ago for the crime of witchcraft, the sisters are inadvertently resurrected by young Max Dennison (Omri Katz). The sister waste no time continuing their evil plan to suck the life out of children in order to attain eternal youth and beauty. Now Max must work with his little sister Dani (Thora Birch), his classmate Allison (Vinessa Shaw), and an immortal black Cat named Binx to save the children of Salem from the witches.

Sanderson Sisters

This film has received cult status over the years and it’s completely understandable, the many hilarious Halloween hijinx make this movie highly enjoyable. I actually did not grow up watching this movie as many 90s kids did. In fact, it was in high school that I finally saw Hocus Pocus at a Halloween party and I think that is one of the best introductions to this type of movie. There is a great deal of silliness throughout the film, from Dani’s sass to just about everything to do with the Sanderson Sisters, and there is nothing more fun than laughing at and enjoying this film with friends!

A virgin lit the candle

There are so many parts of this movie that I absolutely love that I really can’t mention them all so I’ll just give you the highlights. First and foremost is Max’s room! Who wouldn't be jealous of all that space?! And the costumes the kids are wearing to go trick-or-treating are super cool. My personal favourite is this wonderful Mrs. Potts.

Hocus Pocus

I also really love the songs in this movie. “I Put a Spell OnYou” is a catchy tune that I always end up singing for hours afterwards. And then there is the truly creep-tastic “Come Little Children”. It is haunting and would be quite beautiful if Sarah weren't terrifyingly luring children to their deaths…


My one criticism of Hocus Pocus it also one of the things I love the most- the humour. The type of humour is very unique and will not suit everyone. Some people will not be able to stand it, some will need to be in the right mood to really enjoy it, and others will love it regardless! Despite this, I really recommend everyone gives Hocus Pocus a try, especially during Halloween. It is thoroughly enjoyable and a great laugh!

Ellie- 8/10

If you're interested in exploring Hocus Pocus a little more I recommend checking out the following sites, they are both fun and interesting reads!

No comments:

Post a Comment