Google+

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Disney Fun Day- Toy Story


Woody, a traditional pull-string talking cowboy, has long been the favourite of Andy’s toys. Quick to calm the other toys anxieties about being replaced by new arrivals, Woody finds his own status as favourite toy in jeopardy upon the arrival of Buzz Lightyear- the coolest space action figure ever made. A series of events leave Buzz and Woody lost in the outside world with only each other. The two rivals face many hardships along the way and must learn to work together if they have any chance for survival. The two toys form a genuine friendship as try to find their way home before Andy moves to a new home.


The entire Toy Story series is without a doubt counted among my favourite films. Much like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves was the first feature-length animated film; Toy Story was the first feature-length computer-animated film. As an adult I can appreciate the amazing work and talent that went into creating such a heart-warming story. I could spend all day talking about the technological skill and attention to detail needed to create Toy Story and the impact that technology had on the world. But the great thing about this movie is that it is not just a technical marvel, it is great story telling. Toy Story is a magical combination of animation, music, and character development all united by stunning voice acting to create a visual masterpiece.


Tom Hanks and Tim Allen provide stunning emotion and depth to the characters they voice and I never feel that they are playing a part. Sheriff Woody and Buzz Lightyear are just as real as if this were a live‑action film! Even the supporting cast is marvelous. Mr. Potato Head (Don Rickles), Slinky Dog (Jim Varyney), Hamm the Pig (John Ratzenberger), and Bo Peep (Annie Potts) help create the wonderful world in Andy’s room seem not just possible but even plausible!


I remember being heartbroken as a child when, in trying to escape the evil next door neighbour Sid, Buzz puts his Space Ranger abilities to use and flies away- or attempts to. We are aware that Buzz is an action figure. A fact he has been told the whole movie, but he steadfastly believed he was truly a space ranger. Even after seeing the TV commercial that finally proved everyone right, Buzz held on to the belief that he was more than a toy. And I never wanted it to be true more than when he leaped from the banister in a final attempt to fly. My young heart broke to see him lying at the foot of the stairs, broken in more ways than one. 


Every time I watch this movie I feel for the toys in their fear of being replaced. I am horrified by Sid’s treatment of toys. I am terrified that Buzz and Woody won’t make it back to the child they love and I am ecstatic when they finally do! Every time I watch this movie I get caught up in the story and yet I always notice something new. This week was no exception! Toy Story is an excellent movie and is one I recommend to everyone!

Ellie- 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment