Google+

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Disney Fun Day- Meet the Robinsons


Thanksgiving is a time to appreciate all the things and people in our lives and in honour of Thanksgiving this weekend I've decided to look at a movie that is all about family- Meet the Robinsons. This is the tale of Lewis, a brilliant inventor, who meets a mysterious stranger named Wilbur Robinson. Wilbur whisks Lewis away in a time machine and together they team up to track down Bowler Hat Guy in a showdown that ends with an expected twist of fate.

I must admit that the first time I saw this movie I was not a huge fan. The characters were a little too wacky and the villain’s motivation a little too weak. As Lewis is taken around the Robinson house there are so many people to meet that it is impossible to really flesh them out as characters. Despite all the flaws, the more times I watched this movie I found the odd quirks to be quite charming; the singing frogs, the T-Rex, and particularly Bowler Hat Guy’s affinity for unicorns.



Though I would have liked to get to know the Robinsons a little better, I think what is most important about the family is that though they are interesting individually their true strength lies in them being a family unit. Despite the fast pace it is still clear how close the family is and how important they are to each other.



The beginning and ending of this movie are filled with so much heartfelt sincerity that I cannot help but love it, despite the wackiness in the middle. I truly feel for Lewis and his desperation to find a family and someone to love him. When you pair the montage of the final scene with Rob Thomas’ “Little Wonders” I want to cry because I am so happy that Lewis got everything he ever wanted. Add to this the final quote from Walt Disney?! LOVE IT!



Anyone watching this must be prepared for silly antics, but if you can get past the oddness you can really appreciate the message to “keep moving forward”. Thanksgiving is a holiday for us to look back and appreciate everything that has gotten us to where we are today. But we must also be thankful for people and opportunities in the future that will help as grow and hopefully help make the world a better place- even if our contributions aren't quite as fantastic as those of Lewis!


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 


Ellie- 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment